Sunday, October 09, 2005

Rainy Day Woman

I spent all weekend cleaning, cooking, and curled up with a good book. So have you read The New New Journalism by Robert S. Boynton? I read The New Journalism when I was in college, a few years ago. That sounds pretty smooth, doesn't it? So, maybe it was more than a "few" years ago, maybe it was about 1973. I am a school teacher, and teaching is a noble profession. However, I'm a school teacher who, deep in her heart of hearts, would love to be Diane Sawyer. Diane Sawyer is always my answer to the question, "If you could trade places with anyone in the world, who would it be?" You have been in those conversations before. At least you weren't asked what kind of tree you would be! So you have to think of something cool, but not obvious. You can't say Cher, Madonna, or even Grace Slick. You have to sound like a responsible adult. Hell yes, I would want to be Cher. But -- if we are talking possibilities, conceivable outcomes, maybe, just maybe, I could have been Diane Sawyer. She is still cool, even if she did work for Nixon. She is really cool now on Good Morning America. Ten times cooler than Katie. She can ask the hard question. She isn't quite Barbara Walters, but she has been there up there with the big guys. She gets the big interviews, she knows the score. Diane Sawyer, that is my pick.

1 comment:

Cowtown Pattie said...

"If I could trade places..."

Hmmm.

Maybe Dr. Rochelle Constantine?