Monday, October 31, 2005

Halloween Wishes




BOO! Did I scare you?

I hope everyone has a safe and happy Halloween. Have fun and be careful. If I was better at this I would add my favorite Halloween song, Jimmy Buffett's Vampire, Mummies, and the Holy Ghost. This is my favorite holiday. Last year the neighbors across the street really got into it. They had lights, sound effects and a coffin. He dressed up like Dracula. They had a giant pumpkin and a rock activated by a motion detector that laughed creepily when you walked by. They are really nice people with kids of their own, but maybe they went a little too far. I know at least one little person who thought so.

I had a small string of lights and a cute little witch hat/headband. About half way through the evening, a very short princess arrived on my door step - snuffling. She wasn't crying, but she was close. She said, "Trick or Treat" in a small voice, and when I put candy in her pink plastic pumpkin she said, "I'm glad you aren't scary." Her mom was standing patiently at the end of the driveway wearing a weary smile. There is a lot of pressure on parents this time of year.

The news is full of safety warnings. Children are told not to eat any candy til they get home and someone checks the bag. The Downtown Merchants are having a safe holiday candy give away. And just down the street, the local orthodontist (yes, we only have one) is having a parking lot party where he is paying children money to give up their candy. His costumed staff will be serving health snacks and cider. I think he is paying children a dollar a pound for their candy. Wonder what they will do with the candy he buys? I am curious to how well this idea will work.

No comments: