Saturday, October 22, 2005

Are Bloggers Journalists, Reporters, or Who Gets the Shield???

What is blogging? Are bloggers reporters? Are they journalists? The first thought that comes to my mind is from Fannie Flagg's novel, Welcome to the World Baby Girl, set in the 50s - where the main character had a radio show that is broadcast from her living room. Bloggers are journalists in the same way that the character in that novel was a radio personality. Another image brought to mind is the movie Wayne's World, where Wayne and Garth had an underground television show. Blogging is a new form of information disimination. In the same way a personal radio or television show is journalism, blogging is journalism. Some blogging is journalism, some blogging is crap.

I have been watching CSPAN, and the discussion panel whose topic was the Reporter's Privilege to Protect Confidential Sources. The star of this panel was, of course, Judy Miller. Out of jail and having signed a book deal, she looked like the time served did not hurt her too badly.
The question before the panel was the question of a national law to provide reporters with a shield to protect confidential sources. Would a reporter's shield protect bloggers? My blog isn't widely read. I wish I had a few more readers. Maybe if I could find a confidential source and report something juicy --- well, that might increase my hits - but who knows. Naked pictures would do the same - as long as they were not pictures of me. That would probably shut down the entire web.

Judy Miller was protecting Scooter Libby. ICK! If I am going to jail, it will have be to support someone who will do something besides manipulate public opinion in favor of the Dubya/Cheny corporate frat boys. After all, jail can't be that much fun. But on the other hand, I could use a few weeks to read the four books I have started at the present.

On a serious note, journalists need to be able to get the whole story. We do not want to limit the press to reporting exactly what the powers that be give us in their press releases. Getting the whole story will at times require the expectation that sources can speak with some assurance of confidentiality. So, anyone have anything juicy to tell me - I'm ready. I promise you total confidentiality. Give me the dirt, and I will dish it. We will talk about that going to jail stuff at a later date. Have a good day and be careful out there!

No comments: