Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Counting

The Washington Post reports. "Pressure is building on Bush from within his own party to withdraw the faltering Supreme Court nomination of Harriet Miers. And any day the death toll of U.S. troops in Iraq will pass the symbolically important 2,000 mark."

One is too many; 2000 is unconscionable. I offer my deepest respect and sympathy to the families of the soldiers. I support our troops. I want them to come home. I do not want to read the names of former students in the newspaper because they are in Iraq. I do not want the students sitting in my classroom today (some of whom are 14 and 15) to go to Iraq when they graduate. I watch the news constantly, and I have not heard one person say that we would not still be in Iraq in five years. There is not one square foot of soil, nor one barrel of oil in Iraq that is worth the lives of these young people. We need to end this and bring these soldiers home.

4 comments:

Crime Dog said...

Hey! It's me, The Crime Dog! You smacked me around on my blog, for good cause. Phoenix is awesome right now, you're right about that. We love it here. Believe it or not, we are native Roswellites - GHS Classes of 73 and 74, so howdy neighbor! Come and visit me again at Parrothead Ramblings, and feel free to smack me around whenever you see the need.

Amorphous Muse / Shelby said...

glad to meet ya neighbor!

Crime Dog said...

And by the way, I agree wholeheartedly with your thoughts on bringing our troops home. Those of us who endured the Vietnam years (though I was thankfully one year too young to get drafted) are really beginning to see the similarities in what promises to be a long drawn out battle. What was our mission? Regime change? Hey mission accomplished. Hussein is on trial by his own people. They have a government and a constitution in place. Now let them figure this thing out for themselves the rest of the way and let our kids come home to stay.

Amorphous Muse / Shelby said...

Amen.