Sunday, October 16, 2005

Make Up Case Time Machine

In 2001 I moved into the house I grew up in because my Dad got too sick to stay by himself. Dad passed away in 2002, and I have gradually made it my house again. However, I still haven't gone through every nick and cranny. I just moved all my stuff on top of all their stuff.

Today I was looking for something and I opened a case that had been put up in the top of a closet for a long time. It was a makeup kit or overnight bag. My mom would have called it a train case. It was sitting in a out of way corner of a closet that is not used very often. I think it was the train case that I took to Camp Mystic the last year I went - when I was 13.

Inside the make up kit, I found: one almost petrified blue jar of Noxema, one bottle of Cover Girl foundation- also petrified, one red Maybellene mascara box - the kind you have to wet the brush and work it over the cake of mascara, one Tangee lipstick, one Revlon Sugar and Ice Lipstick, a small bottle of Ambush, a tube of Gleem, a toothbrush, 12 giant brush rollers, a scarf, a small tube of Prell shampoo, a rat tail comb, and a wooden handle boar bristle hair brush. I also found large, lime green, clip-on, hoop earrings. I didn't get my ears pierced until the year after my last year at Camp.

It was like opening a time capsule. The combined smell and sight was just awesome. I closed my eyes and breathed in and it could have been 1965. This is the closest thing to a time machine I can imagine. And I am so glad it was there. It made me sit for a minute and smile.

1 comment:

Cowtown Pattie said...

My sense of smell has been defunct for a number of years now. What I think I smell at times is really the "memory" of a smell.

Smell is a magical vehicle isn't it? Transporting us effortless to another time, with other people, and other things.

I miss it.