Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Mathmatics of the Information Explosion

I have read so many really great blogs since I started this, I am almost in awe. There are many truely fine word crafters out there. The quantity and quality of writing is tremendous. Remember the commercial where the guy is surfing the internet and he tells his wife he finished it? Unlike reading a set of encyclopedias, there is no end. You can't read all the way through volume Z, because there is no volume Z. I assume that the sheer quantity of what is out there is growing expotentially. If every blogger adds a new post even once a week, just think how many bits and bytes that has to be. I feel a responsibility to post about 5 times a week. It is almost like I have taken on a second, or actually, third job. So, say I am about average, I know some bloggers post once or more per day, some post once a week and other somewhere in between. So, say four or five times a week is average. That would mean, without additional new bloggers, the amount of "blogging verbage" out there is five times greater each week. That is mind boggling, 5 to the 52 power in a year. This new journalism is growing faster than any other writing sector. This will change the entire face of news reporting.

1 comment:

Cowtown Pattie said...

I never did the math, but obviously, I am way behind on my reading!