Sunday, September 04, 2005

Reality Check in Hell

A few weeks ago I wrote in my personal journal (where I usually try to contain my pity parties) that I was living in Hell. I had quipped questioning why no one noticed they were calling long distance. Now I am watching Hell live on CNN and am ashamed of my self centeredness. Yes, we all have problems in our everyday lives, but what I am watching on CNN is unbelieveable. I read several articles from the newspaper to my history class, and actually had a moment where my voice broke, and I had tears in my eyes. It was an account of a 57 year old woman who had to leave her 94 year old mother to drown because she could not get her into the attic. Her mother's last words were, "I give up." Today on CNN a tough looking older sheriff broke down during an interview because his coworker's mother had called on Tuesday from the nursing home she was in and asked if they were going to be rescued, and her son told her yes. She called on Wednesday and was told again yes someone is coming, and on Thursday she was told yes they are almost there. On Friday she and the others in the nursing home drowned. This scene must have been multiplied by the hundreds. That is truely Hell and it is unbelieveable that it happened in America.