Saturday, September 24, 2005

Chile Rellenos - Gringa Style


It chile season in New Mexico. That means it's time to drive to the closest chile farm where they roast chiles right there on the property. I try to stock up for the year. Thirty pounds roasted and brought home in a big black trash bag will at least last through the holidays. The smell of roasting chile makes my mouth water. I drive to Artesia to get mine. It's a thirty mile drive, and I enjoy the aroma all the way home wafting in from the trunk of my car. Then I bag them in gallon zip lock bags and put them in the freezer. Don't worry about peeling them, it's easier if you do the peeling when they are half frozen or half thawed, whichever. Be sure to only fill the bags about one third full, and lay them flat. Then you can easily thaw and use them for everything from green chile cheese burgers to green chile chicken enchiladas. MMMmmmmmmmm!!!!! I love fall.
This is one of my favorite receipes, give it a try.

Chile Rellenos Gringa Style
One pound ground round
grated Monterrey Jack and Colby Cheese
Fresh roasted green chile - Big Jims are my favorite
one package egg roll skins
veggie oil

Cook the meat, season, drain and cool, heat the oil, take egg roll skins, place one strip of green chile on an egg roll skin, top with ground meat and grated cheese add another strip of green chile, tuck in the ends and roll like a burrito (or an egg roll- duh!) fry til golden brown.

No muss, no fuss, no drippy batter and they are wonderful. IF I do say so myself.

1 comment:

Cowtown Pattie said...

oooh! Fresh roasted chiles? YUM!

We bought some roasted hatch chiles a few weeks ago, but I never thought to freeze them. Dang.

This recipe is a keeper!

So, where's the homemade salsa recipe to go with it?