Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanks Mom!

Turkey, cornbread dressing, gravy, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, baked corn, ambrosia fruit salad, cranberry relish, deviled eggs, relish tray with pickled okra, dinner rolls, pumpkin and pecan pie with whipped cream, sweet tea, and a Texas Chardonney wine.

It was the best turkey ever, really. The dressing was pretty damn good, too. Most everything done "from scratch." First time in a while I didn't either burn the rolls or forget to put them in until dinner was on the table. Remembered to put the giblets on the stove when I put the turkey in the oven this time. So the gravy was perfect. Didn't have to get out a receipe book or call anyone. Had three different people call me for advice.

It is a shame that by the time you get good at this, your kids are grown and no one is impressed. Or that by the time you get good at it - your Mom is no longer around to see it. My Mom was great at holiday dinners; she was the Queen of Thanksgiving. She taught me well. I hope my kids look back and remember me the way I remember her. Thanks Mom!

It's done. The turkey is boned, the leftovers stashed, and the kitchen is straight. Eldest Son took "to go" dinners for him and his boss. The oil patch doesn't shut down for Thanksgiving. The Spare and his girlfriend got here late, ate and ran. Granny popped in and out between other dinners and took hers to go.

Peace and quiet. Full and content. Thankful.

1 comment:

Cowtown Pattie said...

Gosh, your menu and mine were eerily similar! Our mothers were soul sista's....