Monday, November 07, 2005

STUFF - Why Bigger is not Better.

3500 - 5000 square foot houses spaced ten foot apart, no yard. Rows and Rows of theses huge new houses. I have traveled to the city to see other peoples' stuff. What in heaven's name is wrong with those people? What are they thinking? Why would anyone want to live like that?

Three car garages and cars parked outside are common, too much stuff in the garages. All the houses are new and maybe not just alike, but very similar. The people in the houses have lots of stuff. They probably have a TV in every room, stereos, game players, computers, and more stuff. Like as not, it takes both parents working to pay the mortgage.

I just do not see the point. This is a juvenile attitude -- my toys (stuff) are better than your toys (stuff). Or even worse - the guy who dies with the most stuff wins. Yeah, but he is still dead. And someone else has to deal with the stuff left behind.

Maybe this is just overreaction to moving into my parents' house. I had to move my stuff on top of their stuff, and now I have way too much stuff. And if I had a bigger house, I would have more room for more stuff. I can see why people do not want to move; it is just too much trouble. And the more stuff you have, the more trouble it is. And worse yet -- my stuff, it is good stuff, the kind of stuff you can't really throw away.

My parents had been married 59 years when my mother passed away. In that time they had acquired lots of stuff. My mother liked to entertain and in the 50s and 60s that meant china and crystal. Entertaining meant sterling silver trays and flatware - fancy stuff. She had (I have) stemmed glasses, and sherbert glasses, linen napkins and tablecloths - delicate stuff. There are crystal toothpick holders, silver place cards, mint dishes, butter dishes, salt cellars, and I could go on and on. There are 12 silver goblets (shiney stuff) used exactly once -- on their 25th anniversary. Mother had crystal flower vases in all sizes, tiny individual silver salt and pepper shakers, and a, for Pete's Sake, silver candelabra. Who was coming over, Liberace? What do I do with all this stuff?

2 comments:

Cowtown Pattie said...

Delbert said it best:

Artist - Delbert McClinton
Album - One Of The Fortunate Few
Lyrics - Too Much Stuff

Big house, big car, back seat, full bar.
Houseboat won't float. Bank won't tote the note.
Too much stuff. There's just too much stuff.
It'll hang you up, dealing with too much stuff.

Hangin' out on the couch puttin' on the pounds.
Better walk, run, jump, swim. Try to hold it down.
You're eatin' too much stuff, too much stuff.
It'll wear you down, carrying around too much stuff.

Hundred dollar cab ride, fogged in, can't fly.
Greyhound, Amtrak, oughta bought a Cadillac.
Too much stuff. Too much stuff.
It'll slow you down, fooling with too much stuff.

CHORUS:
Well, it's way too much.
You're never gonna get enough.
You can pile it high
but you'll never be satisfied.

Rent a tux, shiny shoes, backstage, big schmooze.
Vocal group can't sing, won awards for
everything.
Too much stuff. Too much stuff.
They just keep on going, rolling in all that stuff.
Got hurt, can't work, got a lot o' bills,
But the policy don't pay 'less I get killed.
Too much stuff. Too much stuff.
Just my luck, counting on too much stuff.

CHORUS

Running back can't score till he gets a million more.
Quarterback can't pass. Owner wants his money back.
Too much stuff. Too much stuff.
You know, you can't get a grip when you're slipping in all that stuff.

Women every which-a-way messing with my mind.
You know, I fall in love every day three or four times.
Too much stuff. Too much stuff.
It'll mess you up, fooling with too much stuff.

Yeah, too much stuff. Too much stuff.
Too much stuff. Too much stuff.
You never get enough 'cause there's just too much stuff.
You know you can hurt yourself, fooling with too much stuff.
Yeah, it'll tear you down, fooling with all that stuff.

Crime Dog said...

Now, this was an outstanding post. This is the kind of post other Bloggers long to find. I just realized that I somehow never linked you up. Trust me m'lady, you are on The Crime Dog's blogroll!