Sunday, July 31, 2005

My Agenda

I received an email asking what my intentions were concerning my blog. What is my agenda? That is an extremely difficult question, because at first I didn't think I had one. After a little soul searching, I realized that, of course I do, or I wouldn't be posting.
So what do I want? I want to make Carlsbad a better community. I want to create opportunity. I want to create a sense of community spirit. Since I am not a wealthy person, the only way I have to influence the direction our town is taking is to express my opinion, and hope that others agree with me. I am pro-historical preservation, and I think that historical preservation will be a positive economic force in the development of our community. It is my strong belief that you can preserve history while making progress. You do not have to bulldoze everything that some people might consider outdated. People need to have a sense of pride in their community, and if their community is identical to every other community, then there is no reason for them to identify with a certain locality. We are proud to be from Carlsbad, not Anytown , USA.
What makes Carlsbad different from every other southeastern NM community? What do we have to offer? For a start, we have the Pecos River. We have the Caverns; we have an awesome climate with sunshine 360 days a year. We have hardworking people, and an energetic work force that is open to new ideas like WIPP. We are a forward thinking community. Whatever we decide to work toward as a community is possible. The forces operating in Carlsbad need to join together, and decide to put Carlsbad first. We all need to work to make our town a model for combining tourism, industry, and retirement.

No comments: